metropolitan


Wednesday, June 30, 2010

walking with God.

I'm working on a Bible study with some friends from college. This past week, I was reading something about how often times when we pray we ask God to bless us. We ask for God to join us on all of our journeys, plans, and events that we've got booked for the next 3-5 years. However, this may not be the best way to pray at all. It would be so much better for me to ask if I could walk with God each day, rather than asking Him to walk with me. He's always longing to be with me, that's not the issue--but isn't it so much better for me to be seeking His footsteps to follow? Um, yes. :)

Yesterday, our friends were over with their daughter again, learning to swim in the pool. She was horribly afraid to get off of the stairs, afraid of what might happen when she could no longer touch the ground, even though she was wearing her life jacket and her daddy and Marcus were both close at hand. So too, we are often paralyzed with fear-- afraid to step out in faith for whatever might be next.

God promises to offer a "lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path."-psalm 119:105 I take this to mean He's going to shed just enough light for us to take one step with certainty. We can confidently plod along, one step at a time.

He'll let us know just what the next step might be, where and when we need to take it. Yesterday was tough, but I promise to be with you, Brelin. Take a step.
Today was tough, I hear your cries for healing, and I love you. Take a step.
Tomorrow, I'm praying that God's made the footsteps in the sand really deep for me already, so that they're really easy for me to follow, and...S-

No comments: