metropolitan


Sunday, June 20, 2010

ignoring the doctor, and other new things.

First of all, happy Father's Day to all of my pops out there: Dad, Dad, and Dad-in-law. I love you all!! Thanks for the love, support, and witty remarks that have helped to shape me all these years. You are all such a delightful blessing to me.

Secondly, I want to state, for the record that I am not typically a rebel. I abide by laws, rules, and regulations for the most part. I have almost always obeyed authority figures, and I still even feel a little guilty when I don't tell the whole truth to my mother. That being said, I blatently disregarded the advice of my physician on Friday. I had called the doc again, after a follow-up phone call from the hospital reminded me of my need to make an appointment. While speaking with the nurse about the care I received a week ago, she prompted me to call the GI doc again, and let him know that my success and progression through the land of "full liquids" was leaving a little something to be desired. I called to ask him what I should do.

The doctor (via his really nice nurse) told me that I needed to get my butt back to the hospital, where he could put another NG tube in, and let my bowels rest for a substantially longer period this time. So that we could "do it right this time." I told them that I appreciated their concern, and that I REALLY did not want to go to the hospital again, and I certainly did not want another NG tube. So, instead, the doc called in a couple of new meds for me to try at home.

I have felt really naughty all weekend, knowing that I "broke" the rules by not listening to the doctor. In my defense, Marcus said that I didn't have to do what the doctor said this time, and that only I really know how bad I feel. I told him that I didn't feel bad enough to go to the hospital...so we had ice cream cones, and went for a walk instead.

I'm still vomiting most everything, but there seem to be little glimmers of hope every so often. I kept down half a container of yogurt the other day, and today, I've digested some cereal. Just enough to keep me guessing, it seems. I think that I'm doing a little better with fluids today too, so that is positive. My BP is still running pretty low (I assume, since I've been more dizzy than normal), we believe it's a low volume issue. The only answer to that problem is to keep more fluids down...which is going to happen soon.

Me and my little rebellious spirit are off to bed now :). Thank you all for your prayers.
brelin

No comments: