metropolitan


Saturday, June 5, 2010

more weird symptoms and still vomiting...

I hoped that the vomiting would at least be under control while I was in the hospital. I'm not really sure why I thought that would be a possibility, but I was fairly optimistic. Alas, my vomiting has continued, and perhaps even gotten worse since I've been here. I continue to puke just stomach acid when there is nothing in my tummy.

My labs came back with a new weird symptom: low cortisol levels. They are doing another test now to see if there is something wrong with my adrenal glands. I should know the results tomorrow.

I've also developed a bizarre tongue/mouth thing called glossitis. Apparantly it is from malnutrition.

I'm still on TPN (which is total nutrition), and they have re-hung my lipids bag once a day. I'm also on sugar water to get more calories in each day.

I'm pretty tired today, but holding up alright. I'm looking forward to being in my bed sometime in the next few days.

Thanks for all of your prayers.
brelin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cortisol is a hormone essential for the proper functioning of the immune system, the regulation of blood pressure and blood sugar levels, and the stress response. A number of medical conditions can cause an abnormal decrease in the amounts of circulating cortisol in the body. Low cortisol results in a characteristic set of symptoms.

Aspects
1. Cortisol is produced by the portion of the adrenal gland known as the adrenal cortex. There are two adrenal glands, one on each side of the body, directly above the kidneys. The synthesis of cortisol is triggered by the release of the pituitary gland hormone adrenocorticotropic hormone, or ACTH. Because of its ability to suppress the immune system response, synthetic forms of cortisol are often used to treat autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Effects of low cortisol
2. A person suffering from hypocortisolism--an insufficiency of cortisol in the blood--will exhibit distinct signs and symptoms. Their blood sugar levels may drop and they may become weak, tired and disoriented. They may suffer from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, and become dehydrated. Their blood pressure may begin to fluctuate dramatically and to drop when they are standing.
Does this help? Darilyn