metropolitan


Tuesday, July 15, 2008

the surgeon's office

so, for a while now, I have been "against" getting surgery. I was especially opposed to getting a feeding tube placed in my abdomen. As I look back, I think it is mostly a pride issue... and I think it's a little gross too. Pride... in that, I didn't want to be "crippled" or "dependent" on something else to help me live. For some reason the picc line wasn't quite as bad, or quite as permanent in my mind. A feeding tube in the intestine was over some line in my mind. However, I know that many of you have been praying for CLARITY for me. Yesterday morning, I woke up and knew that I needed to have the surgery. I knew with a certainty that I cannot explain or describe--but I have such peace about the decision--so I know that it is in line with God's will.

so, we called the surgeon that we met with in the hospital, and had a surgical consult today. we signed lots of paperwork and discussed the surgery with her this afternoon. the surgery will take place sometime next week... wednesday at the earliest. I will put the date in when I know it. She will be starting out laproscopically (with small incisions), and doing her best to cut out the scar tissue that way, but if it's too overwhelmingly filled with scar tissue from all the abdominal surgeries from the past, she will make another larger incision (over top of the current one) and cut out the adhesions that way. Then she will place the feeding tube and sew me back up once I am all cleaned out. The hope is that surgery will completely heal me and I won't need to use the feeding tube. But I will have it there just in case the surgery doesn't solve the vomiting problem.

Please pray specifically that the surgery will stop the vomiting completely and there will be no complications from surgery. Please pray for the surgeon, Dr. Cornejo. Please pray for peace for my family, especially Marcus. Please pray that we can all continue to keep our eyes focused on Christ--as this has been a long journey.

thank you all so much for your love and support!
brelin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey kiddo, I haven't looked at your update for a long time...and yesterday God told me that I needed to...and now I know why..Kimmy is in Maine again this summer so I just filled her in..we will be praying for you. We love you..get better soon. Jan Cantley

Andy (and Heather) said...

Hey B-dizzle!

We're so thankful you've received clarity on this decision! How incredible is it that we have a god who loves us enough to lead us regardless of the circumstances. May the surgery end the pain. We'll be praying for you, marcus, and the docs! We love you!

Anonymous said...

You are in our prayers. You made a difference at Kennewick First Lutheran, and you are missed. However, we know that your moving on is part of your life's journey and we pray that you continue with love and support from your friends and family. Dewey & Judy Robbins