metropolitan


Saturday, January 29, 2011

02/07/11

That is the date that is currently set for surgery. The insurance company has still not approved the procedure, but the doctors are hopeful that there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and that we will be able to proceed with the surgery on that day.

On that date, the team of doctors will be placing a gastric neurostimulator, also called a gastric pacemaker. It seems that all things are coming together well for this to happen, and I am definitely looking forward to the surgery taking place.

The team of doctors will attempt to enter my belly laproscopically (with small incisions and a camera), but the surgeon doesn't think that he'll probably be able to complete the surgery that way, due to all of the scar tissue in my body. Scar tissue is often a bit like a spider's web, making it difficult to navigate through. It helps me to think of it like those scenes in Mission Impossible where they have those laser beam security systems and the bad guys are trying to steal the diamond. Just one wrong move, and the whole room erupts with noise as the alarm goes off. It's pretty similar to my guts--if they nick the scar tissue at all, things would be much worse--and infection could erupt throughout my abdomen. If they are not able to proceed laproscopically, the doctor will enter through the scar that I already have, and perhaps make it a little higher up, so that he can see my stomach really well to place the stimulator wires.

While they have me open, the surgeon is hoping to "take down" (aka: remove) scar tissue that might be causing problems throughout the belly. They are not going to make any incisions larger than they need to, but they also want to make sure that while I'm opened up that they don't miss anything important. There is also a chance that they will place another J-tube (like the one that I had in 07/08) so that I could do some tube feedings at night while I recover from surgery, and just as back-up in case I don't respond to the gastric pacemaker right away.

My pre-albumin levels are borderline low (normal is 20-40, and mine is 19). Pre-albumin measures your overall nutrition. They are planning to repeat my blood work closer to surgery, and then make the decision about whether or not I need the feeding tube placed again. If it is decided that I do need one, they will be able to place that at the same time as they are doing the other stuff. I'm praying that I don't need it, as it is very uncomfortable, and increases my risk of infection.

Please pray along with us:
1. That the surgery goes well, and that the surgeons will be wise, and their hands will be steady. We are praying that God will guide them directly to the things in my body that need to be fixed, and that He will use them in order to restore my body to full health.

2. That I will recover from surgery quickly and without incident--that there will be no complications, that I will get adequate rest in the hospital, that I will have a terrific care team with caring nurses and doctors, and tender-hearted, compassionate staff. We also pray that my pain will be managed effectively throughout my stay, and when I return home as well.

3. That this is the answer. On 02/07/11, it will have been 3 years and 5 months to the day since this horrific battle of daily puking has been raging on. But it has been 13 years since my story of abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting has been going on. Please pray that we can rejoice, and that my story might be one of miraculous healing and health restored completely.

4. Above all else, we pray that God's voice might be heard through my voice and that God's story might be seen in my story. We ask that God's faithfulness might be known throughout the world, and that many lives will be changed forever by the goodness of His love, and by the power of His mercy and grace.

We love you all, and covet your prayers. I'll be at Swedish Hospital for surgery, and my docs are Dr. Louie and Dr. Patterson if you'd like to pray for them specifically. I will be staying inpatient anywhere from 1-7 days depending on how quickly I recover from surgery, and what kind of things they end up doing while I'm in there. We welcome hugs, prayers, and visitors. We'll try to keep the blog updated as well.

Hugs,
b

No comments: