metropolitan


Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sometimes I think I'll have a relaxing day.

Today was my "relaxing" day.  I didn't have to go to any appointments.  My whole plan for the day included a nice walk with a friend that I haven't seen in a long time, followed by a day of rest.  Marcus woke me up with his kisses telling me goodbye as he headed out the door at 7 for work.  I walked out to the living room and looked at my cell phone.  One of our good friends had gone to the ER, reported her husband.  They wanted prayers, and someone to hang out with their kids later.  I told them I was free and happy to help later in the evening.  I got ready, and walked out to the car in the rain to go for my walk.

On the way to the car, I slipped and fell.  It was the same spot that Marcus had fallen yesterday, there must've been some kind of car grease or oil or something.  I fell forward, but didn't hit my big abdomen.  I landed on my hand and my knee, while somehow managing to injure my big toe also.   I was pretty shaken up, and a little freaked out--but really relieved that I hadn't hit my belly on anything.  I called Marcus at work because I was concerned about the fact that I couldn't feel my pinkie or thumb on one hand, and that my toe was completely numb on one foot.  He was work, though, and didn't get my message right away.

I headed to my coffee date, and was pretty much fine by the time I drove down the road.  I was still worried about my hand and foot, but figured that if anything was broken it would get worse.  I hugged my friend that I hadn't seen in a while, and she noticed that my belly was really hard--like a rock.  I didn't feel anything, but figured I'd check again in a little bit.  It had gotten hard again.

Marcus was worried, called me back and insisted that I call the OB doctor.  I talked to the triage nurse and asked if she thought I needed to be concerned.  She called back and said the doctor wanted me to come in and get checked out on the fetal monitors.  So, I drove downtown to the hospital and got hooked up to machines.  Both of the babies heart rates were in the normal range for 26 weeks, and the contractions that I was having were not productive, they were more "irritable cramping".  Apparently that's common in some twin pregnancies.  Who knew?!  So, all 3 of us were fine.  What a relief!

Meanwhile, my friend was having an emergency appendectomy.  I was going to try and help out with the kiddos, but didn't know if I'd be out of my own doctor's appt in time.  Ugh.  Her surgery went well.  Her husband was able to stay home from work, and she even got to go home with him because she was recovering so well that same day.  What another relief!  Thank you, Jesus!

I was relieved of my childcare duties, and headed home myself.  I was exhausted from the stress.  I was tired from all of the activity and the uncertainty of the day.  And mostly I was hungry.  I ate a lot of garlic bread tonight.  I'm not sure why that was the best food ever invented today, but it was.  Perhaps there are some restorative health properties in garlic?  Or maybe it was just a comfort to take the warm, butter-slathered bread from the oven and savor each bite from the comfort of my la-z-boy recliner?  Regardless, I'm glad this "relaxing" day is coming to an end.  I can't wait for bed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One should not question the goodness of odd foods when pregnant. Just savor it.